BLIS Library and Information Science
The Department of Library and Information Science (LIS) offers a graduate-level professional and academic preparation programme for careers in libraries and information centres. The programme is designed to:
Provides students with a robust and well-rounded education through a curriculum that reflects the profession’s immediate and long-range needs and prepares students to be leaders in a changing field.
- Sustains an environment supportive of students, faculty members, and staff from all segments of a multicultural, multi-ethnic, and multilingual society.
- Promotes excellence in research contributions to the base of theoretical and practical knowledge in library and information science.
- Helps students understand how to meet individuals and groups’ varied and changing information needs in a global society.
- Provides public service through continuing education programs, consulting services for library and information centres, and participation in professional organisations.
- Encourages students, faculty members, and alumni to shape the future of the profession by filling critical roles in organisations involved in all aspects of the information cycle
ENTRY LEVEL: 100 (MINIMUM OF 4 YEARS DURATION)
COMPULSORY O-LEVEL REQUIRMENTS
Credit passes in five (5) subjects which must include the following:
English Language C6
The candidate MUST possess Credit passes in the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE) or its equivalent in five (5) subjects, including English and Mathematics, in not more than two sittings.
ENTRY LEVEL: 200 (DIRECT ENTRY, MINIMUM OF 3 YEARS DURATION)
COMPULSORY O-LEVEL REQUIREMENTS
The candidate MUST possess Credit passes in Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE) or its equivalent in five (5) subjects, including English and Mathematics in not more than two sittings.
Direct Entry (3-year degree programme): Any candidate with the following qualifications is admissible:
ACCEPTABLE A-LEVEL SUBJECTS
Library Science D
Other Social and Science subjects D
ACCEPTABLE DIPLOMA RESULT
Library Science Merit
Information Management/related discipline Merit
ACCEPTABLE NCE RESULTS
Library Science C
Any other Social/Science Combination C
To be awarded the degree of Bachelor of Library & Information Science in the department, you are expected to pass a minimum of 120 and 90 credit units for the four year and three year programmes respectively.