B.A. (Ed) French
B.A. Ed French programme is developed in line with the Nigerian’s philosophy of promoting greater understanding and cooperation with her Francophone neighbors and having greater participation in the affairs of Economic Community of West African States. The programme will expose the students to the study of oral and written components of the French language and literature and equip them with the knowledge and skills to teach these in schools and colleges in Nigeria. It also aims to enhance access for all who seek knowledge and continuous educational development irrespective of location, number, status, gender, age and time through the open distance learning mode.
- UME candidates at 100 level must have five (5) credits in SSSC or the GCE “O” level in French (or its equivalent e.g. Niveau I of Alliance Francaise Certificate) and English and other relevant subjects at not more than two (2) sittings. A credit in Mathematics is required.
- For Direct Entry, candidates entering at 200 level with NCE certificate must have a minimum of merit pass in French and in two (2) other subjects as well as credits in 5 relevant O’ level subjects including English Language and Mathematics. Candidates that have NOUN Diploma in French or equivalent Diploma in French may be considered. OND holders may be considered for admission at 200 levels in special areas with a provision that they will take all 100 level education courses and some GST courses. HND programmes have no education bias; therefore, HND graduates cannot go for French Education unless at 100 level with their ‘O’ level grades.
- Immersion Programme at French Village: At 300Level French students go for immersion programme at Nigeria French Language Village, Badagry, Lagos State, i.e. all 300L French courses are done at the Village.
For a four-year education degree course, 120 units and above is required for graduation.
- For a direct three-year course, a minimum of 90 units and above is required for graduation.
- At the commencement of the programme, each student should be furnished with the information specifying the requirements for the award of the degree; and
- The student must pass all core and GST courses offered during the duration of study.
Students must also complete and received a pass grade in teaching practice courses: (EDU216 Special Methods -Micro Teaching /School Visits, EDU335 Teaching Practice I, EDU336 Post Teaching Practice Evaluation & Remediation, EDU435 Teaching Practice II) and EDU499/EDU420 Research Project.