B.A (Ed) English
B.A (Ed) in English is aimed at producing professional English teachers through open distance learning mode, who would be competent to teach both oral and written English tailored to enhance development of individuals into a sound and effective citizen and for promotion of integrated national development. It also aims to enhance access for all who seek knowledge and continuous educational development irrespective of location, number, status, gender, age and time through the open distance learning mode. To enable students, attain proficiency in the use of English language for communicative competence and think critically and creatively. To prepare teachers for the teaching of English language, and literature in Nigerian schools. The programme aimed to give access to teachers on continuous learning and the use of flexible learning with provision of continuing professional development programme in the teaching of English language.
- UME candidates entering at 100 level must have five (5) credits pass in SSC/NTC/NBC/TCII/GCE O’ level at not more than two (2) sittings in English Language, Literature in English and other relevant subjects. A credit pass in Mathematics is required.
- Direct Entry candidates entering at 200 level must have a minimum of merit pass in English Language and in two (2) other subjects as well as credits in 5 relevant O’ level subjects including English Language, Mathematics and Literature-in-English. OND holders may be considered for admission at 200 levels in special areas with a provision that they will take all 100 level education courses and some GST courses. HND programmes have no education bias; therefore, HND graduates cannot go for English Education unless at 100 level with their ‘O’ level grades.
- For a four-year education degree course, 120 units and above is required for graduation.
- For a direct three-year course, 90 units and above is required for graduation.
- At the commencement of the programme, each student should be furnished with the information specifying the requirements for the award B.A (Ed) English degree; and
- The student must pass all core and GST courses offered during the duration of study.
Students must also complete and received a pass grade in teaching practice courses: (EDU216 Special Methods -Micro Teaching /School Visits, EDU335 Teaching Practice I, EDU336 Post Teaching Practice Evaluation & Remediation, EDU435 Teaching Practice II) and EDU499/EDU420 Research Project.